Thread: Classic UPS
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2013, 01:49 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Jim:
VERY well stated... and my experience exactly.

Dan:
Great links... 30% funny / 30% sad / 40% terrifying

I know they're not all this bad, but still makes you lose faith in our society's work ethic. Delivery Drivers (like those in the videos) probably represent the least of the problem. What goes on in the UPS warehouse and the shipping/handling/receiving behind the scenes is where the real abuse takes place.
I also worked in the warehouse for 5 years before I became a driver. If a driver delivers a damaged package to you, 99.9999999% of the time, it was damaged before he even touched it.

Boxes falling 25-30 feet from the over-loaded sorting belts to the concrete floor, especially during Christmas season, was a common occurrence.

It has nothing to do with work ethic. If you don't have a work ethic, you don't work at UPS. It's all about efficiency. Pounding numbers through the door as fast as possible.

It's the only reason they are able to stay profitable and competitive with FedEx and the Postal Service, despite having much higher wages and better benefits (then FedEx anyways, I don't know about the USPS).