View Single Post
Old 08-23-2002, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Default Grade Tech - WOW! More and more, I really like this company

Posted By: petecld

Just my 2 cents:

Dan - While agree with you whole hearted that no one should be judged for making one mistake you do have to admit the mistake was HUGE. Grading what another company would call a "5" a "7" could be considered a mistake I guess but to me it would be a simple example of what I already know - grading is subjective. BUT, missing a reprint? Even if they do label cards "authentic" like I think grading companies should - at this point an "authentic" grade from Grade-Tech isn't worth much looking at the ebay auction.

Graded cards are supposed to carry a higher level of security. In my eyes, Grade-Tech doesn't offer that. First impressions are tough to over come and my first impression of this company is that they aren't able to "recognize" an authentic card which ISN'T subjective, let alone gain my trust that they have the ability to determine the grade of a card.

About their response: Yes, they responded quickly and honestly. While I am happy to see that it is also the LEAST they can do. When SGC made the same type of error, someone was fired I believe. Is the same guy who missed the Matty still grading vintage cards? I would be willing to forgive a really obscure issue but a T206! C'mon.

Speaking strictly from an advertising/marketing POV: Showing the microscopic view of the corners will be the Grade-Tech's down fall. Collectors will now be comparing the microscopic views and analyzing the crap out of them. Yes, collectors do that now with graded cards but now it will be done on a microscopic level. Can you imagine the shades of gray that will be born when comparing cards on a microscopic level?

I can hear it now, "Hey, why isn't this an "8"? There are 3 micro-fibers sticking up and I have other "8"s that have 3 micro-fibers sticking up!"

Pulllllllease.