Thread: Why Autographs?
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2012, 10:58 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

I always loved collecting cards growing up in the 70's and 80's. It was something that I could share with my friends and kept me occupied for long periods of time. I could play with them, look at the stats, gtrade them...but autographs were more special.

I remember being in the hospital when I was a kid and having Phil Rizzuto send me his autograph at the hospital. I cherished that. I remember sending autograph requests through the mail and how thrilled I was getting some of them back.

These days it is the thrill of owning something that someone who played major league baseball took the time to write. It is somewhat personal in that sense. The fact that many of these gentlemen have passed away gives me a feeling of kind of perpetuating their legacy...keeping their careers alive in someone's mind.

And on a personal note, now that I have decided to focus my personal collection to Pittsburgh Pirates who started after 1900, the thrill of the hunt will, I'm sure, take me on every bit as much of a roller coaster ride as would any card set or card project.

Tom C