View Single Post
Old 01-02-2023, 01:28 PM
Bob C.

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcardsfan View Post
Great stuff BobC! The sound quality on the Agora tracks are superb! Listening to AC/DC Live Wire right now! What a legendary venue that must have been. Thanks for the link.
There is still an Agora Theater today, just in a different location, but still in somewhat the same capacity as the original venue going back to the late 60s/early 70s. They still look to showcase up and coming acts in a pretty small and intimate venue. Back in the day, the Agora the was tied in with the local #1 rock station, WMMS 101.7, and thus I believe a main reason the sound quality and recordings they had from all those years ago are still so great.

https://www.ticketsales.com/agora-th...eland%20-%20OH

The man behind the Agora, Hank LaConti, is a local legend.

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainm...gora_club.html

And I was lucky enough to have a college buddy of mine, and his older brother, who both worked at the original Agora at its East 24th location. In fact, my buddy's older brother later on became the manager of LaConti's Painseville Agora when it opened in the late 70s. He used to call me when he had trouble with people calling off and remember him calling to come out and man the box office for him at times. I was lucky enough to be on hand at the Painesville Agora selling tickets the night that Jonah Koslen, the former leader guitarist for The Michael Stanley Band, had the world performing debut of his new band, Breathless, that same night. Got to watch part of a great show by an outstanding guitarist and performer.

The Agora was the Cleveland version of legendary venues such as CBGB's or the Whiskey A-Go-Go. Cleveland may not get the hype and love of other cities like New York, Chicago, or LA when it comes to music, but there is a reason the Rock HOF is here, and not in any of those other cities.

Last edited by BobC; 01-02-2023 at 01:29 PM.