View Single Post
Old 12-26-2022, 11:14 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthoemke View Post
Buckethead, seriously.
Took my oldest, then 13 year-old, son and a couple of his friends to Ozzfest in 1999. When Primus hit the main stage, I remember them getting all excited and shouting about Buckethead performing with the group. I honestly did not know who Buckethead was, but quickly found out why they got so excited. Brian Patrick Carroll (AKA Buckethead) is definitely an extremely underrated guitarist who appears to be relatively unknown to a large part of the public at large, despite his many collaborations and accomplishments over many years.

I'm a little surprised that no one as of yet has given any mention to the Motor City Madman, though his politics may have some part in that. As has already been mentioned, technical virtuosity alone does not always a great guitar player make. And politics aside, there is something to be said about listening to the likes of Ted Nugent playing live.

Also, only briefly mentioned so far, Steve Howe deserves a little more attention and credit in my book as well. Someone does not get voted as the "Best Overall Guitarist" by the likes of Guitar Player magazine five consecutive years in a row (1977-81), nor become the first rock guitar player inducted into the Guitar Player Hall of Fame, without being pretty darn good.

As maybe a tangent or aside to this thread, would be curious to hear which and how many of these various acclaimed guitarists many of you have had the pleasure to see and hear perform live. Records are one thing, live performances to me can truly separate the men from the boys.