View Single Post
Old 03-18-2021, 04:57 PM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltOrioles View Post

I am beyond thrilled to add a 1961 Ardmore Rosebuds program to my collection. I never thought I would find one. I've coveted what is probably the only surviving copy for a long time and finally talked the owner into parting with it. It won't have a more loved home....

The Orioles Class AA affiliate in 1961 was the Victoria Rosebuds. They played in the Texas League. On May 27th, the Rosebuds moved from Victoria, Texas to Ardmore, Oklahoma. The Rosebuds were 18-25 during their time in Victoria and 39-58 in Ardmore, for a combined record of 57-83.

An interesting side note is that all the Texas League teams played 24 games, that counted in the 1961 standings, against teams from the Mexican League. The program is from a game against the Puebla Parakeets. On the Parakeets roster is Dan Bankhead. Bankhead was the first black pitcher in the Major Leagues, pitching in 4 games with Brooklyn in 1947 and hitting a HR.

The closest I've come to anything from the Victoria period, is an away program from Amarillo, when they played the Gold Sox. The Rosebuds played in Amarillo from May 27-29, so the insert roster sheet is likely the last time they were identified as Victoria.
Alan:

Congratulations on this new acquisition. I know how much you enjoy collecting affiliate game programs (particularly older ones). How badly did you have to twist the owner's arm? lol

Bill