View Single Post
Old 07-03-2007, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Default 19th century photo identification

Posted By: Alan Elefson

Hi-
I am posting this thread in the hopes that folks will post their 19th century baseball pictures that they need help identifying things like the year, league, etc. I realize that most of the photos will be similar to the photo I am posting below, that is, a group of men (company picnic, family reunion?) who are pictured together. This probably means that identifying names and even a location are iffy at best. However, I hope the experts on this board can assist with ideas for how old the photo is, as well as anything else that can be shared.
I acquired the photo below at a flea market this weekend (quick aside - this was one of the few times rummaging through a dealer's box of miscellaneous paper and ephemera might have paid off). It was buried in a box of junk paper and I paid about 3.00 for it. I know it is not a "real" team, but I am happy nonetheless with the piece. Does anyone know approximately what year it might be from (there are at least two bats and possibly 2 gloves pictured in the scan)? Or, are there any other bits of information you might know about this item? I also had a thought that it might be a later copy of an older photo (if it is, no big deal, that is why I love flea markets). It is glued down on a cardboard mount, and has the word Forresters written in silver on the back. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
As a reminder, please post other 19th century images you would like more information about to keep this thread alive! Please note, I saw the thread from RamRam asking folks to post 19h century pics, etc, but as that one had 40 odd posts, I figured a new one is in order.
Thanks in advance,
Alan Elefson
aelefson@meditech.com