View Single Post
Old 12-04-2018, 12:35 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
A voice of reason. If authorities and others weren't already working on this the name would have been revealed already. And any lawyer saying to out the person, knowing the authorities would rather it not be done yet, should know better.
This urge towards self-important secrecy with every bit of information is an unfortunate ongoing theme in this hobby. I have never even bid on a signed T206, don't have any, and thus have no stake in whether or not Paddy Livingston (whoever that was) signed a T206. But when it comes to exposing crooks, I believe as Justice Brandeis did:

"Publicity is justly commended as a remedy for social and industrial diseases. Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants; electric light the most efficient policeman."

I notice that reporting on crime in newspapers often speeds up the prosecution of crime. Publicizing the name(s) does not affect an investigation into past crimes one iota: the crimes are already completed and the records of them that are likely recoverable from third parties (like AH consignment records) are already in existence. What it might do is prevent someone from getting ripped off. For example, if the info is out there that Joe Shlabotnick is the person who bought the cards under eBay ID "Ohio Forger" then everyone with eBay inventory can block him. Whatever we can do to cut off and frustrate the crooks is a good thing and it starts with information. We ought to be focused on what might protect the most collectors from further scamming ASAP rather than playing Jr. G-Man, and IMO that is maximum exposure of the culprit(s).

But that's just my opinion; reasonable minds may differ.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-04-2018 at 12:47 AM.