View Single Post
Old 03-22-2023, 05:22 PM

Well, I've come to the end of the road with the 1978 set.

As always, if anyone can offer alternative IDs for any of these images, PLEASE do so.

And finally, I need to discuss those few card images that are simply too hard to begin to try to place: Vic Davalillo, George Medich and Danny Walton.

Between his departure from the A's in 1974 and his return to MLB with the Dodgers in 1977, Davalillo played in Mexico. Was this image snapped with Oakland? A Mexican team? Impossible to know unless the Topps Vault has released the negative which might show some of the real uniform along the borders.

George "Doc" Medich played for the A's, Mariners and Mets in 1977 - is his Rangers uniform painted over one of those? Perhaps it is from his time in Pittsburgh in 1976 or even with the Yankees for several years before. The background is too fuzzy to make a guess as to a location.

Danny Walton got into 11 games with the Astros in 1977 after arriving from the Dodgers farm in early September. He was Dodger property throughout 1977 and 1976 before that. Is there a Dodger uniform under the Astros paint job? Perhaps a Twins image? Who knows.

Thank you for indulging me this journey through the 1978 set and like I said - please send any ID information you may have!