View Single Post
Old 03-13-2023, 04:17 PM

Default 1978 Topps Image Inventory

For a long time I've wanted to dive into my favorite/first set, 1978 Topps, and see if I could determine to the best of my ability the location and approximate date for each image.

I've gotten to the point where I'm actually almost done, and in the coming days I plan on posting the results in this thread for others who are as obsessive as I am about either the 1978 set or in general about vintage Topps sets.

I will post team by team - the 1978 set has 763 images in total counting the 4x4 rookie cards, leaders, record breakers, team cards, managers and post season cards. Actually it just dawned on me that the managers also have those small black and white photos - I will try to ID those as well.

Each team's entry will include every image of a player from that team. Paint jobs (i.e. Dennis Blair and Nelson Briles for the Orioles) will be included in the team with which they were photographed - the Expos for Blair and the Rangers for Briles.

On rare occasion, it will be possible to identify the specific date of an image, but in most cases I will just need to say either the team's first or second trip to Yankee Stadium in 1977. I will also try to identify the locations of images taken during spring training, which has proven tough.

Anyway, the 1978 is my 'first love' in the hobby, and this has been a fun and occasionally illuminating exercise.

If anyone can correct any of my conclusions or offer to fill in missing information, please do so!