View Single Post
Old 10-29-2014, 11:39 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjclarke View Post
Think that's oversimplified a bit. If the decision is Peavy or Bumgarner, or a 2012 Cain, 2010 Lincecum then yes, maybe it's a simpler switch. However if you've watched Peavy and Hudson in the 2nd half, Peavy was the Giants' clear #2 going into October, while Hudson had been fading since before the break. I think everyone and their mom was hearing about the Peavy vs Royals head to head stats, and am sure Bochy considered all that, but stuck to his rotation.. And was also aided in his decision by having Petit as a long/emergency man today, and possibly Bum tomorrow.

Clearly the Peavy situation spiraled too fast for the Petit move to save it. I also think the big inning was aided as much by the misplay at first and Peavy's calling home when the only play was at first, as it was anything else. This is part of the point I'm making about how statistically subtle defensive lapses (no error even) can spiral into much larger problems. Both teams are very good, play the game right and IMO are deserving champs. Glad to see two clean, fundamental teams going at it... And still think a measurement for the true value of an outfield like KC's has probably not been devised yet.

Re- Bochy, I still think this is his best managerial job with the Giants. I'm not trying to say he's the best in game or anything like that (though think he deserves HOF consideration, and should be a lock if they win a 3rd), but think compared to 2010 and 2012, this year's rotation is night and day. Those teams both had 3-4 legitimate #1 or #2 type starters. This team has 1, then drops off with 3-4 fives. Also losing Pagan has forced him to adapt and get a lot more creative with lineups and creating run scoring ops. He's a pretty adaptable manager and think he's continually coaxing great performances out of role guys, who he uses in the right roll.
It seems like I look at the Giants opening day roster each year and think "OK, maybe next year" yet here they are again for the third time in five years. Bochy and company must be doing something right.

I'm sure I'll be yelling at the TV tonight, but regardless of the outcome, it'll have been a great ride. If anyone tells you they picked both the Giants and Royals for the World Series, odds are very high that they'd be lying.