View Single Post
Old 03-01-2004, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Default Favorite baseball movies

Posted By: warshawlaw

My favorite of all: The Rookie. Maybe I'm 38 and realizing that there aren't many BB players older than I am anymore, so the Jim Morris story hit a responsive chord with me for that reason, but I just loved that movie. The look on Dennis Quaid's face when he gets called up to the Majors...priceless.

#2: Field of Dreams. I love that speech about how baseball is the one constant in all of America. Esp. out here in the West, where they seem to destroy everything every 20 years or so, the idea of a connection with the past is precious. That idea may be at the root of why I collect.

#3: Bull Durham. Crash Davis is the everyman hero trying to get another 2 weeks in the Show.

#4: Major League. Pure popcorn-chugging fun.

#5: Pride of the Yankees. The whole thing was done with such great love for its subject. How can you not choke up at the end? Besides, any movie with Babe Ruth playing himself has got to be fun.

The worst of all:

The Babe Ruth Story. Pure camp. I love the heil Hitler arm pump in the 1932 series. Charlie Root would have KO'd Ruth if he'd done anything like that.