View Single Post
Old 06-08-2022, 05:12 PM
Val Kehl

Thanks to Luke L., I have added this tough, blank-backed 1934 Annis Furs card of Fred "Firpo" Marberry to my collection of cards of all the players on the 1924 Senators World Series Championship Team. Marberry led MLB in saves in 1924 and saved 2 of the Senators' 4 wins in the 1924 W.S. The first paragraph of SABR's bio of Marberry reads as follows:

"Fred Marberry, one of the best pitchers in baseball for a decade, was the first great hurler to be used primarily as a relief pitcher. He played a large role in Washington’s only World Series triumph, and set many records for relievers that would not be bested for many years. Almost forgotten today, he has been denied larger fame by splitting his career between starting and relieving —had he done one or the other, he might be in baseball’s Hall of Fame today."

Here's the link to this interesting bio, in case anyone cares to read it: https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/firpo-marberry/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1934 Annis Furs - Fred Marberry - front.jpg (185.8 KB, 982 views)
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.