View Single Post
Old 03-27-2021, 07:59 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Are you sure it is sepia version? The sepia can come in a wide range of toning and sometimes the Sepia and B&W versions are not easy to distinguish in images. The scan quality, settings, lighting, etc can all have a big influence on how the card looks. If you have it in hand, an easier way to tell the difference is to check the card stock. The B&W are much thinner and a more flimsy. From the image, i can't tell for sure if it is a sepia version. It is not distinctly B&W, but it also doesn't have a very strong rusty appearance either.

With regard to the type and name plates, I'm not convinced there are just 2 permutations. Attached is a comparison scan of 3 Pennocks I grabbed online. Maybe it is just the scans, but to me these look like B&W w/name, B&W w/o name, and sepia w/name in that order. That said, I'm not sure I've ever seen a W554 that was obviously sepia w/o name.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Penncok Comparison.jpg (76.3 KB, 335 views)
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers