View Single Post
Old 01-26-2022, 07:48 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyruscobb View Post
This is probably true. However, I’ve never personally understood the registry or its appeal. Many hobbies require time, talent and skill, such as photography, gardening, painting, etc. The set registry just requires money. Period.

Anyone with enough money can climb the ranks. All it requires is having enough money to buy the highest numerically graded card in a specific set. That’s it. Not much skill or talent. If Warren Buffet or Bill Gates wanted to have the best set registry, they could make it happen relatively quickly with checks. However, they couldn’t become master photographers or gardeners overnight. It takes time, skill, and talent.
I agree.

I will say the registry is a powerful drug. I never gave graded cards a thought because I laughed at how silly it was. Then I got a set of beyond amazing vintage cards. I had the entire set graded back when it was cheap. I had the 3rd best complete set. Then I got addicted to make it the highest graded set. Luckily I kicked the habit and sold almost all my graded cards. I have less than 20 now.

Kicking the graded card silliness(to me) was the best hobby choice I ever made.