View Single Post
Old 10-09-2022, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammb View Post
I for one do not bgrudge Aaron Judge. My point was I do not think he or any other player could perform as well as Maris had they been put under the same pressure. My answer is no.
Well said, Tony. The pressure on Roger Maris was excruciating. I got interested in cards in 1961, at age 7. I was happy for Roger Maris. Sure, I really knew nothing about baseball history, and so on. Come next spring, all I knew was that I wanted the card of Roger Maris more than any other.

Anyways, as I got older, I came to have more and more respect and admiration for Roger Maris. I tried to get his tougher cards, and with God's help, I did. Regardless of what Aaron Judge has done, and I love and am proud of Judge, I will always love Roger Maris, too. He got the record when I was 7. I'm now 68, and the record has finally been officially broken, and it's great. Aaron Judge deserved it. I'm glad he did not have to face the CONSTANT pressure, scrutiny, and immature, petty, and outright hatred of so many people that Roger did.

I don't mind having several guys to collect, but at my age, I can only allow myself a few. For one thing, my son has absolute no interest in my baseball and hockey card collections. That's ok; I helped him with all my might in what HE was interested in----Sonic the Hedgehog, and Detective Conan Edogawa.

Well, I'm getting verbose---again. Take care, my fellow collecting warrior.

--- Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 10-09-2022 at 04:40 PM.