View Single Post
Old 01-18-2021, 10:13 AM
John Donovan

As a Royals fan I've always been a Greinke fan as well. Watching his early struggles and then bouncing back to win the Cy Young award in 2009 was great (I had to go hunting in multiple stores in the KC area in the summer of 2009 to find a copy of his Sports Illustrated cover...they were hot sellers around here).

While it was unfortunate he wasn't around during our 2014 and 2015 World Series years, he definitely had an impact because it was his trade to the Brewers that landed us Alcides Escobar and Lorenzo Cain...two major contributors to those World Series teams.

I researched Greinke rookies back in the late 2000's and I agree, the 2002 Upper Deck Prospects auto is the best Greinke rookie. It's a really cool design. I never did pull the trigger as they were going for around $50 raw at the time, and as I had two young kids, that was a LOT of money to be paying for a baseball card.

With patience, it looks like you could still pick one up for around $100 raw or 8 or 9 grade. Personally, I would pick one of those up for enjoyment. I agree with the other posters that Greinke rookies probably aren't the best "investment". But it could be a lot of FUN to build a Greinke collection (cards, autos, etc.) from all his different teams....and that 2002 auto rookie would be the cornerstone.