View Single Post
Old 03-19-2023, 08:00 AM
James M.

Injuries are apart of the game, I think representing your nation, whether it be in the Olympics or in the WBC is important for many of these players, because it's a way to show their pride for their roots, while at the same time embracing Americas pastime. I also love that the WBC shines a light on lesser known international players or in the case of some countries, guys that are desperately clinging to a dream of playing professionally. I think it was the Czech Republic team, that did an interview where all the players explained what their day jobs were, what position they are playing, and how important this tournament is to them.

I think the reason why some owners, and fans have more of an issue with it now, is because players are significant financial investments worth millions of dollars. I wouldn't want to put the onus of this on college athletes, because if they get hurt, they lose their chance of making the Show most likely. Edwin Diaz can afford to be injured for a season, many of those young men, can't.

I also think about the history of our game, players would barnstorm in the offseason. Players played for military teams when they were serving our nation, in World War II. I don't think this concept is anything new. Furthermore people like to champion how superior the athletes of today are because of modern medicine, and training, therefore I don't think any of that crowd has any sort of right to complain.

At the end of the day, it should come down to a players personal decision. If they decide they want to play in the World Baseball Classic, they suit up, knowing the risks that come with it. I'm sorry if that comes off sounding nasty.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.