View Single Post
Old 11-25-2020, 11:43 AM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
I'm a member of a few Facebook card groups. Majority of posts made in these groups are just crap and a waste of my time, but sometimes I'll see an interesting post here and there. One of the things I love doing is talking to old-timers about how the hobby was like before I was born. I love hearing things like "in 1976, I was driving down there ... he punched him in the face ... I pulled it out of the pack ... I got twenty-five dollars for it ... my wife threw it in the fireplace ... blah, blah, blah". I guess this is because I'm a history-freak (and why I love vintage cards so much!) Anyways, so one interesting character started posting about how he was at Angelo Savelli's house in the early 1980s, and how he almost got his T206 Honus Wagner in a trade. However, Angelo later changed his mind and backed out. And then a couple of guys were like "yeah, he still has it ... very old man he is ... blah, blah, blah." I was like "huh? A Canadian owns a T206 Wagner? I had no clue! And who the heck is Angelo Savelli?" This post just reminded me that there are so many things about our hobby that I am not aware of (even in my own country!) At the same time, I was also very proud that a Canadian owns this card!

Does anyone here know the story behind Angelo's Wagner? When did he get it and from whom? How does it look like? Isn't a PR example worth like two million USD now? And are there any other Canadians who own this card?

Very interesting story, I'd suspect that there's cases similar to this across America/Canada. Collections, with high value cards, not graded, that are held by people in there 70s, 80s, 90s, etc. While I can't speak for the Wagner, I have a working theory that in 10-20 years we'll see a lot of 52 Mantle's start hitting the market. All freshly graded, because of people passing away or getting too old and having no family to hand it down to.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.