View Single Post
Old 03-25-2023, 02:53 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
659. Wikipediot
Anyone who correctly answers an impossibly tough question in a trivia thread, and you know damn well he just looked it up on-line.
I don't have to look it up, I know very well who Wid Matthews was, since he's in my biography of Walter Johnson. During practically the entire season of 1924, the Senators searched for a reliable third outfielder to go with HOFs Goose Goslin and Sam Rice. Mathews filled that role for a while before burning out or proving his unsuitability for the major leagues. He later became an executive with, if memory serves correctly, the Cubs. Washington finally found the outfielder they were looking for in the person of Earl McNeely, paying the then-amazing sum of $75,000 to Sacramento of the PCL for the highly skilled but untested McNeely, who in the closing months of a dramatic pennant race gave them a couple months of .300+ hitting to go with his speed and agility in centerfield. He also gave them the winning hit in the seventh game of the World Series against the Giants.

Last edited by Hankphenom; 03-25-2023 at 02:54 PM.