View Single Post
Old 06-16-2015, 06:08 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Yeah but what is your point exactly? Should fan popularity factor into all star game voting? If yes, then there's nothing to complain about. If no, then you can't argue that a HOFer in their final twilight years who is having a terrible season (see Willie Mays 1972 & 1973) belongs on the team.

That was sort of my point. I had expected that more of the really great players would have done well despite being past their prime, some well past. So I figured I'd try to look it up quickly. And what I found was--------

that with few exceptions a great player towards the end of their career wasn't used the way a younger player would be - Most were used as pinch hitters if they even got into the game. Making the roster spot sort of ceremonial rather than competitive.

That even very established players who'd been all-stars regularly didn't do all that well.

That there's a pretty solid indicator of how the game has become more of a marketing exercise that an actual competition. Can you imagine having a guy with an ERA under 3 who is headed for 23 wins and yet he doesn't even play? That was Spahn in 63. Today not only does every team get someone on the roster, there's a serious attempt at playing everyone.

And since it's a marketing exercise - and at least in part has been since the 70's and probably before (Who didn't grab a fistful of those computer card ballots and spend part of the game punching out all the home team players?)
I'm not sure if the selection of those towards their career end was done by the fans or by the manager picking them as reserves. Probably the manager for most of them.

It's all about the money, sure having the best at each position for that year would be more correct, but with the people who may only watch the AS game on TV and that's their one game for the year it's more about marketability.
For myself, I'd rather see Reggie strike out one more time or see Ozzie Smith make a few more plays than see some guy I've never heard of get a hit when he's only there because while mediocre he's the best player on a very average team.

Now if they backed the roster down to the same as a normal team has during the season so the spots were actually the best players I might think differently. (To say nothing of not using a player because he might have to pitch within the next week or two)

Steve B