View Single Post
Old 01-21-2024, 03:56 PM
d.ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by HittinLikeCarew View Post
So I’m still fairly new to the hobby, collected as a kid back in the early 80s, been back for a few years. Got caught up in football hype during Covid and made really stupid decisions etc.
fast forward to now, I went back to my roots of vintage baseball and have really gotten into TTM and private signing autos, of players/eras I’m familiar with.

I was able to get out of a football “investment” at about even and put the money aside for something that is smart but meaningful.

If you had $2k would you:
-make the jump for a low grade Koufax rookie and send in for an upcoming private signing? His fee is currently $1200/card. He’s 87 so not sure how long he’ll continue to sign
-continue to hold out for other options, and not feel guilty paying some fees this spring for Brett and Yount signings coming up

Thanks!!
I got back in the hobby (early eighties) when the rule was a signature devalued the card. More power to those that thought differently. Signed rookie cards seem to be all the rage and some athletes have a signed rookie cards as part of their autograph pricing tier. I would not buy a 1955 PSA/SGC 3 or lower Koufax rookie and then shellout $1200 for his autograph. Although I have some autographed cards (freebies at shows ex. Paul Blair) but it is just not my thing. With $2500 and a Koufax focus, I would purchase a 1956 Topps in PSA 7, a 1962 Topps PSA7 and a 1963 Fleer PSA 7 (always liked that card). The specific year could vary but the anchor would be the 1956 Topps PSA 7. Yes, 1955 is his rookie year but that card is pricey at a PSA 7. Why PSA 7? Early on, I decided that PSA 7 was good enough for post war cards.