View Single Post
Old 01-10-2021, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamest206 View Post
Hey-I got bored this summer with politics & Covid. I also realized my step kids are just that, my step kids. So I was reading Eight Men Out. I looked up Sleepy Bill Burns, and saw that T206. I then got very interested, very fast. I was collecting high grade Cubs, decided that was too expensive, and sold those off for less than what I paid. Same with other cards I had. I realized I needed to solely focus on what I could afford, and there is no money flipping cards. I am right now collecting strictly raws, that look decent, but not overpaying. I did pick up a couple graded cards, but prefer to stay away. Cy Young Portrait is one graded at PSA 3 I have, and an Eddie Collins that I will probably trade soon. Everything else, HOFers, and Commons are raw. I go after portraits as well. That is the bulk of my collection. I have bought my best cards at best price off this site. eBay, you get guys that think they should get top dollar. My advice, be patient, it will show up. Do not deviate from what you are after. Sure, you will make some mistakes at first, but lessons learned. Guys on this site are in it for the love of the hobby, the history as well, and not making money. Set goals. Don’t overpay!!!! Negotiate on price as well. Buy a reprint set off eBay, that will help organize what you are after, and the presentation of what you are going after. Buy the book, the T206 collection, so you understand what to go after, and what is overpriced. Don’t get caught up in bidding wars on eBay either. Also, don’t go after perfection either. Creases can look bad in a picture, but the card can look great in person. I don’t mind creases at all. Read the Glory of Their Times. Watch Cobb, make friends. I promise there are guys that will bail you out of your mistakes and buy it all off of you. Everyone I have met is a really good person, and that is the main thing. I am meeting people that are great people all over the place, from all walks of life. No one has the same goal. As I told my wife, this is one hobby, one thing, where there are no price drops, or slow downs. Everyone has the means to get what they want, when they want it. The main thing is to have fun. A couple cards I gave to friends at work to give to their son and grandson. Keep the game alive, and don’t forget the past either.
Fantastic advice. I read Glory of Their Times and have watch Cobb. Both are outstanding. I have the T206 Collection book on my to do list.

Thanks,

BC