View Single Post
Old 03-21-2023, 04:42 PM

The 1978 Topps Cincinnati Reds.

The 1978 set contains 37 images, not counting the Bonham paint job, but including the Fryman, Meoli, Nolan, Eastwick and Bailey paint jobs.

The team photo - surprise! - is actually the 1976 Team photo; a couple standees at the ends of the middle row have been airbrushed out and the fence has been recolored behind the, but those are the 1976 champions - Perez, McEnaney, Youngblood, etc. The photo was taken at Riverfront during a homestand between 7/29, when Sarmiento replaced Rich Hinton on the roster, and before 9/1 when Joe Henderson and Don Werner joined the club. The REAL 1977 Reds Team Photo, shown below, was taken in Riverfront sometime between 7/17 when Sarmiento and Soto were recalled and 9/1 when the call-ups began arriving.

The small black and white image of Sparky Anderson was taken when he was with the Phillies in 1959.

Several images were taken at Candlestick during 5/25-5/26, 8/12-8/14 or 9/16-9/18: Plummer, Borbon, Morgan, Anderson, Armbrister, Knight, Bench and Bailey. Auerbach was taken at Candlestick either in August or September.

Rose RB, Rose, Geronimo and Capilla were taken in Shea, either 6/7-6/8 or 8/9-8/21. Seaver was snapped at Shea, but during the August series for obvious reasons.

The rest were taken in the spring.

I believe Dale Murray was take at Al Lang field, home of the Cardinals and Mets, because the look of the outfield fence matches several images of Cardinals players.

I can say for sure that Fred Norman and Mario Soto were definitely taken at the Reds' spring home, Al Lopez Field in Tampa - you can see portions of the adjacent football stadium in the background.

The rest of the spring photos - Billingham, Griffey, Moskau, Concepcion, 2 Foster RBs, Driessen, Lum, Sarmiento, Foster, Summers, Hume, Werner, Revering, Meoli, Fryman, Eastwick and Nolan - were probably taken in Tampa, but the Murray image suggests some may have been taken in St. Pete - I could not see any other identifying features which would help the determination, so I will assume the probable, they were taken in Tampa, unless other information surfaces.

As promised, here is the REAL 1977 Reds Photo:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (217.8 KB, 107 views)