View Single Post
Old 03-18-2023, 10:39 AM

Starting on the National League

The 1978 Topps Chicago Cubs

The set has 29 Cubs images, excluding the Roberts, Kingman, Broberg, Fryman, Cox and Meoli paint jobs, and counting in the Bonham, Todd, Zamora, Schultz and Cardenal paint jobs.

The team "Collage" (if anyone can explain for me why the team did this for a decade or so, I would be in your debt) was assembled between 4/19 and 4/28 - after Mike Gordon was farmed and before Donnie Moore came up.

Herman Franks' black and white was tough, but I think it shows him with Brooklyn in either 1940 or 1941 - 2 stripes are seen on his sleeve cuffs and none of his other MLB uniforms had that particular feature.

The majority of Cubs images were taken in the spring of 1977 at their training facility, Scottsdale Stadium in Scottsdale, AZ: Krukow, Ontiveros, Hernandez, Morales, Franks, Biittner, Burris, Gross, Rosello, Buckner, Kelleher, Wallis, Clines, Paul Reuschel, Mitterwald and Lamp.

A few pictures were taken when the team was in Candlestick that season, either 6/20-6/22 or 8/26-8/28: Rick Reuschel, Trillo, Swisher, Sutter and Murcer. Donnie Moore's photo was taken there during June as he was sent down to Wichita at the end of July and did not return until September.

I am fairly certain that Todd, Zamora, Schultz, Cardenal and Bonham were taken in Scottsdale. Schultz may have been photographed the previous spring as he was sent to St. Louis in late February of 1977.

Another interesting item from when the Topps Vault was a going concern is this Bonham color negative:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 276 - BONHAM.jpg (30.6 KB, 191 views)