View Single Post
Old 03-17-2023, 04:00 PM

The 1978 Topps Seattle Mariners

There are 27 Mariner images in the set, excluding the Mitchell, Hale, Pasley and Todd paint jobs, and including those of Broberg, Larry Cox and Roy Thomas.

The team photo was taken in front of the Kingdome sometime between 7/3 and 7/7, after the arrival of Julio Cruz but before the departure of Dave Pagan.

The small image of Darrell Johnson shows him as a member of the St. Louis Cardinals in 1960.

A few images were taken in Oakland between 5/19-5/22 or 7/11-7/13: Johnson, Collins, Braun, House and Cruz. The latter two were taken in July after they joined the club.

Larry Milbourne was snapped in Yankee Stadium during either 4/29-5/1 or 8/30-8/31.

Quite a few were taken at Diablo Stadium in Tempe, AZ during the club's first spring training session in 1977: Abbott, Meyer, Montague, Reynolds, Pole, Romo, Baez, Stinson, Stanton, Stein, Jutze, Wheelock, Bernhardt, Burke, Thomas, Broberg and Cox.

Ruppert Jones and Carlos Lopez were impossible to conclusively identify. I went through images of every American League ballpark, and the one that seems to most closely match is Tiger Stadium, where the team played 5/27-5/29 and again 8/15-8/16. I am not remotely certain of this, though. Any insights would be appreciated.

Finally, for the longest time I had thought Ray Fosse's Brewers card was a paint job over his Seattle uniform, but after a lot of thought, I now think it was taken when he was with Cleveland, and so I am going back up to the Indians' post and placing him there.

Last edited by deweyinthehall; 03-17-2023 at 04:01 PM.