View Single Post
Old 03-17-2023, 09:16 AM

The 1978 Topps Minnesota Twins

There are 34 Twins images in the set, counting the Schueler, Hisle, Gomez, Hughes, Bostock and Terrell paint jobs, and excluding that of Bombo Rivera.

The team photo was taken in Metropolitan stadium between 4/26 and 5/1, after the arrival of Jeff Holly and Davis May, but before the acquisition of Dave Johnson and the departure of Jim Hughes.

The small black and white image of Gene Mauch is from his playing days with the Red Sox, 1956-57.

Images taken in Oakland, either 4/9-4/10 or 7/15-7/17, include: Tom Johnson, Carrithers, Redfern, Thormodsgard, Hisle LL, Cubbage, Goltz, Randall, Gorinski, Smalley, Wynegar, Carew, Mauch, Hisle, Hughes and Terrell.

Chiles, Ford, Kusick and Wynegar (4 cards that I really thought looked cool in 1978 and which still look cool today) were snapped on the 15th, the only night game they played in Oakland that season. Zahn's could have been taken on the 15th or the 17th, but I think it was probably the former. He started that evening, and the image looks like it was taken as the sun was setting. His appearance on the 17th was in relief on a day game.

Gomez was also taken in Oakland, during the July series as he hadn't been called up yet in April.

Borgmann, Dave Johnson and Schueler were taken in Yankee Stadium either 6/10-6/12 or 8/24-8/25.

Several images were taken at Tinker Field in Orlando during the spring of 1977 - Norwood, Perlozzo, Burgmeier, Adams, Goltz LL and Carew LL.

Bulling and Bostock present a challenge - each was taken in the spring, Bulling is wearing his road jersey and Bostock was as well, given other Twins in the background wearing theirs. From the limited details in the photos neither seems to look like Tinker Field, so I am going to put "Unknown Spring Stadium" as a place holder for each.