View Single Post
Old 03-13-2023, 05:44 PM

1978 Topps Boston Red Sox.

The Boston team set includes 32 images, not counting the paint jobs of Bailey, Torrez or Brohamer, but including the Tom Murphy Blue Jays paint job.

The team photo was taken at Fenway between 8/26 and 9/1, after the arrival of Sam Bowen, but before the call-ups arrived.

The small B&W image of Zimmer seems to have been taken when he was with the Senators from 63-65.

The following images all seem to have been taken at Chain-o-Lakes Park in Winter Haven in the spring of '77 - Murphy, Campbell, Cleveland, Lee, Stanley, Willoughby, Wise, Doyle, Evans, Dillard, Cox and Diaz.

These images seem to have been taken at Yankee Stadium during 5/23-5/24, 6/24-/26 or 9/13-9/15 (not listing the sleeves here...you can look at the cards to see): Yastrzemski, Montgomery, Rice, Burleson, Lynn, Miller and Carbo. Helms was snapped after he joined the club, during either the June or September series.

These are Oakland shots, taken 5/9-5/11 or 8/4-8/7: Zimmer, Scott, Hobson, Fisk and Jenkins. Aase had to be taken in the August series, after being called up.

Drago is an interesting case - ordinarily Topps would have used a paint job as he joined the club from Baltimore in the fall of 1977, but they used an image they must have taken of him in 1975 in Oakland, either 5/12-5/13 or 8/8-8/11.

Paxton seems to have been a colorization of a black and white image of him with the Sox - possibly a team-issued card.

Tiant is a mystery to me - I cannot tell if that was a spring shot, or at Yankee Stadium or Oakland. I lean to Oakland, but cannot be sure.

Finally, there is the image of Rice used on the HR Leaders card - you'd probably say it was impossible to tell where it was snapped, but a few years ago the Topps Vault spat out the attached image which shows it was Yankee Stadium.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 202B - RICE.jpg (18.4 KB, 365 views)