View Single Post
Old 09-10-2022, 02:42 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
I have talked to some people and I have changed my mind. I do not like the pitching clock. At first I thought no big deal and it can only help.

Then after talking to people i do not like it.

1. Does not give the pitcher potentially enough time to go thru the pitch selection(if A pitcher has large # of good pitches) may not even get to it and now the pitcher is forced to throw something they either do not or one that the catcher might not be ready for(since not communicated)
2. This could cause safety issues (if catcher does not know what is coming) or it can cause the catcher not being set right and not prepared and the ball getting buy or just poor play
3. IF the pitcher is a rookie, new to the team etc, does not allow time for getting on same page
4. Prevent discussion for situation baseball ie runners on base, potential to throw runner out at bases etc

I go to minor league games regularly, and they've been using the pitch clock for years now. Seems to not affect the pitchers at all on that level, and the pitch is usually off, long before the pitch clock winds down.

Pitchers actually seem to get in more of a rhythm, knowing what's expected of them. If anything, the batters don't seem to have as much time as they want to dig in sometimes.

Bottom line though, these are all just band-aids. As long as baseball is on commercial television, all these long breaks in between action will continue.

The other thing about minor league games. They rarely drag on, anywhere near as long as their MLB counterparts. Sometimes I wish they'd last longer, so I'd have time to sneak one more beer in before the 7th inning stretch.