View Single Post
Old 12-02-2007, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Default Ruth photo sells for $26,349.02 in lelands

Posted By: Josh Evans

That price really shocked us as well. But we knew it was a great image and we have been aware of it for years. The only other specimen I know of I believe was in Christie’s in the Baseball Magazine Collection and I know where it is but it is probably untouchable.

This specimen has a very interesting past. We knew this photo was in the collection from the very beginning. It was one of those photos that you don’t say wow that’s worth a lot of money but you say wow, that’s a great image. Many people would prefer Ruth in a Red Sox uniform (not me) and in the past that would be more valuable but the aesthetic of the hobby seems to get more sophisticated every day. Overall, collectors seem to be going for images over historical content.

Anyway, for over a year we thought that the image had been stolen by the person who middled the San Francisco Examiner Archive to us (that’s okay he stole plenty of other stuff). But a couple of months ago I was sitting and sorting photos and there it was out of nowhere. I almost fell out of my seat. That was a really neat moment.

Josh Evans
Chairman
Lelands.com