View Single Post
Old 01-12-2022, 08:18 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
Steve, not sure what series you collect, but a T206 Magie, is not a Rocco Colavito Topps card. It's why I referenced Rafer Alston, Luis Gonzalez, and Steve Finley. They are about my age and played well for my hometown teams. They are not hofers or part of important sets, so as the years go by, I expect their value to remain stagnant.

Steve Finley is like Corey Hart (apologies to our Canadian neighbors). T206 Magie is like a first release Scott Joplin record. Baseball will have to go away from our culture before baseball cards become worthless, especially cards from the T206 series.
I never argued that the card was going to zero, just only that I question if its a great investment at this point. The huge run up in the market the last couple of years, as far as I can tell, has been fueled by new blood (and wealthy new blood) trying to get culturally significant stuff that has broad appeal. Babe Ruth first and foremost. Jackie. Jordan. Mantle. Jeter. Clemente. Icons like that. Yes, the rising tide has lifted almost all boats. I just question if there is going to be steadily increasing demand for cards of people that, well, maybe 99.6% of true die hard baseball fans (who don't collect) have never heard of. I seriously doubt it, but time will tell. An error card is an anomaly. I get the appeal. I used to collect stamps. Error issues are huge. They are indisputably cool. I just think the interest level in things like the Magie error card is limited to a much smaller circle of collectors than you'd imagine from reading this board.

Obviously just my opinion and I'm wrong as much as the next guy. I thought Amazon at $35 was overpriced.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 01-12-2022 at 08:26 PM.