View Single Post
Old 10-02-2022, 11:55 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
You stole my answer on this one.

Tons of the new releases have been hideous. The framed Diamond Kings are fairly consistent in being some of my favorites every year and I want cards I enjoy.
Glad I’m not the only one. When I can’t find anything on my vintage list, I pick up modern cards of the old timers. Panini includes a lot of the B tier pre-war players Topps doesn’t include in its retro sets (Waner, Lyons, Lefty Gomez types). The artwork style is nice, I like the framed parallels more than how Topps does it, where parallels just have a different color border. Golden Age and Cooperstown were fun when they made them. The modern player focused Panini sets don’t cover up the lack of logos quite so well with the game action photos, but they compare well with Topps base.

Competition is good. Cards changed a lot when there were multiple makers experimenting with different ideas (Pacific probably most of all) and there was something for anyone (except those grumps who will hate anything made in modernity simply because it was produced in modernity). Topps line up is basically the exact same as when they were gifted the monopoly again.