View Single Post
Old 09-23-2004, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Default So What’s Your Story?

Posted By: Darren J. Duet

Origin
1976 -- My father went into my grandmother's attic, brought down a paper bag, dumped its contents on the floor and said to my brothers and me, "PICK". From oldest (Jason-7 at the time)to youngest (Kevin-4), my two brothers and I spent the better part of a fall afternoon clearing the pile of topps cards from 1954 to 1962. I was a Hammerin Hank fan so I picked his cards first, Jason was a Yankee fan so he got all the Mantles, and Kevin decided he liked Ernie Banks so that's who he picked.
Kevin later told me he picked the Banks cards because he was either smiling or lauging in all his cards. The other cards were basically picked at random until the pile was cleared.

1977 -- Dad would bring home a box of Topps cards and we would split it up between us. I remember the feeling of getting a superstar in a pack-Rose, Jackson, Seaver - what a rush. My brother's and I would trade amonst ourselves and friends for our favorites. I was a Pirates fan back then, Jason was a Yankee diehard, and Kevin liked the Braves.

1978 - 1980 -- All my earnings from mowing grass and shrimping with my grandfather went to cards. In 1980 I finished my first Topps set when I pulled an Odell Jones from a pack. I got my first Beckett and would spend hours with it and any other bb card reference. We'd buy our cards from a local grocery store.

1981 -- I attended my first card show in Houma, Louisiana. Bought a handfull of T cards (Coupon) which included a good conditioned Ty Cobb, bat off shoulder. My love grew deeper. I figured out - the older the better. I paid $100 for the lot.

1981 - 1990 -- Every penny I had went towards cards. I bought tons of the new stuff. Occasionally I put out $$$ for older stuff but only when I got a good deal.

1990 - 1995 -- College years, poor. All that "new" stuff I bought, I traded for vintage. I grew up in Galliano, LA. The closest card shop was in New Orleans, a 2 hour drive. I went to college in Monroe, Louisiana and had a card shop in Pecanland Mall - 10 minute walk from my apartment. I made many deals (like Eric Dickerson rookies for T cards of Marquard, Wheat, Jennings, and an occasional Mathewson). My vintage collection grew through my sacrificing the heroes of the time.

1995 - 1999 -- Med School, long hours. My collection was safe at home. I made few additions during this period other than purchasing from classmates who took their Dad's collections when they found out I would pay $$$ for cardboard. I picked up a 1953 Mantle this way.

2000 to present -- Real jobs, residency and private practice. Still spend most of my money on cards with an emphasis on T & E cards. I buy some of the new stuff just for the joy of opening packs, but it isn't the same. I love and appreciate the history of the game,and enjoy the way the evolution of the game is paralleled by the evolution of baseball cards.

The fever has never left and likely never will, If the antique card market crashed tomorrow I'd be a happy camper because I'd be able to afford many more cards.