View Single Post
Old 09-22-2004, 07:57 AM
Administrator

Default So What’s Your Story?

Posted By: Hal Lewis

I have vague memories of getting some cards from 1973 thru 1976 when my dad would bring packs home for me every once in a while as a treat...

but it REALLY started for me in the summer of 1977 when I turned 10 and was finally old enough to ride my bike to the park every day and play baseball from sun up to sun down!!!

On the way to the park, my friends and I would ride by every construction site we could find ... picking up soft drink bottles that we could take to the convenience store and return for CASH!!!

Every day we would buy a Coke (big quart bottle because you could get more when you returned it!) and some Super Bubble ... and spend whatever we had left on CARDS!!!

Sure, none of them ever made it home in anything better than PSA 4 condition ... but who cared!!! I think I sorted those bad boys EVERY NIGHT!!

One night I would wrap them in rubber bands by teams ... the next night it would be by the first letters in their last names ... and the next night it would be by the numbers on the back of the cards!!!

Oh the JOY on Christmas morning in 1977 when Mom and Dad gave me the FULL SET in MINT CONDITION!!! Yes, there is a Santa Claus ... and her name was Renatta Galasso!!!

I also got a subscription to baseball digest, and watched This Week In Baseball every week!! "Hello baseball fans, this is Mel Allen!"

Honestly, I never even KNEW that there were baseball cards before Topps in 1952 ... until just a few years ago when I became fascinated with this wonderful VINTAGE World that you folks have created!!!

Thanks for letting me be a part of it ... and hopefully some kid out there will visit my website and become hooked like I did!!

www.LewisBaseballCards.com