View Single Post
Old 09-21-2004, 06:42 PM
Administrator

Default So What’s Your Story?

Posted By: Chris B.

Great topic by the way John!

I began collecting cards back in the summer of 1984, mainly because my best friend at the time did. After a few packs, however, I was hooked. I spent every bit of money I could get my hands on on 35 cent packs of Topps cards. I remember still trying for at least 2 months to get the elusive Reds Team Leaders card (featuring the immortal Mario Soto and Ron Oester) in order to complete the set.

As I began to read anything I could on the history of the hobby, I became fascinated as I learned about cards made at the turn of the century, and some even in the 1800's! I never dreamed I would be able to get one -- I assumed they were impossible to find and, for a 12 yr old, to purchase. I soon went to my first card show where I walked to a nondescript table that had a book full of T206s. I could barely believe my eyes. Having spent my allowance on a set of 1985 Donruss cards I was broke. Fortunately my dad took pity on me and told me to pick out one. I got a 206 Marquard portrait for $8, and never looked back. It is in fair condition at best, but I would not trade it or sell it for anything!