Thread: Latest Pickups
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2022, 11:55 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Ain't that the truth! I haven't exactly followed this card specifically, but I don't believe I've seen another one besides that cool misprint copy you have (or had). My photo archive doesn't have an example picture of a correctly printed Johnson at all until this one.

I've gotten to the point where most of the cards on my c. 1910 boxing want list are just exciting to even see appear, whether I get them or not. Sometimes it's just fun to see things we didn't even know existed crop up, or cards that haven't been seen for years somehow come up in batches. This is what has been so fun with boxing, it's not usually a contest of how big my wallet is as it is an effort of research, digging and patience.

I have no idea how many T224/T229 cards there really are out there, but I'm starting to think it's not more than a couple dozen of each maybe.
That would be a generous estimate. I am also thinking that some cards are less available because they were destroyed at a greater rate. Al Jurgela (hi Al) and I were kicking around the seeming SPs of the T226 set--basically, the black fighters--and one thought was that people threw them out because the set was a Louisiana issue and cards of black folks might not have been well-regarded. Well, I am thinking that after Johnson beat Jeffries a 1911 issue of Johnson might have been unwanted by some proportion of the collecting base. No proof of that, just an idea.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...