View Single Post
Old 03-14-2022, 02:13 PM
sc0tt_kirkn.er

I think 99.99% of Tesla owners know enough about the current limitations of the self-driving technology. Anybody that has logged more than 100 miles with Tesla on auto-pilot knows it is not a "set it and forget it" experience. I believe it does greatly reduce the stress of driving (particularly long distances), but you would have to be a special kind of stupid to think the current system is foolproof. The drivers pointing fingers at Tesla for causing accidents are just trying to deflect from their own negligence.

Hopefully, someday the technology will be there to literally take a nap in the car while it drives and charges itself cross-country. At that point, I suspect the company will be liable for any damages, and the company would have an insurance policy covering all of the cars it issues. So, the cost of the insurance will be built into the price of the car. But, this should be more than offset by the savings on the car buyer, since he would no longer be responsible for carrying auto insurance personally (unless he intends to continually manually driving automobiles).