View Single Post
Old 05-04-2013, 02:53 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDMD View Post
I have been doing some research...especially into Mantle's and the more I look the more I find myself drawn to the base more than anything (of course, the most expensive). I think I'm going to define my collection mostly which base Mantle's. I do really like the All-Star cards they issued starting in 1958 too...I'll probably gravitate towards those and then a couple of his other mainstream issues (such as the '58 Topps Mantle/Aaron).
You cannot go wrong with that approach. The All-Star cards are some of the more attractive Topps issues. Those were some of the last cards I added to my mainstream Mantle set. With the exception of the 1958, it is tough to track down affordable examples of a lot of them. Be careful though, Mantle collecting is addictive. I started with Topps and Bowman. Five years later and I am chasing stadium issued photos, coins, and postcards. Even looking for that stupid key chain insert and a reflective decal....

Bill, what set are you working on?