View Single Post
Old 08-11-2021, 07:45 AM
George E.

Here is what I would want out of a third-party grade. I realize that the populace does not want this, but it makes the most sense to me as one who wants to buy and sell online (where the seller cannot have them in hand to check for themselves).

I'd like a verdict on five or six categories (like what Becket does), but with no composite "score." I realize the composite score is the main driver for the market, people want their card ranked, and they want the math done for them so they can price point it. But I just need a third party to tell me what I can't see for myself (centering is not necessary but could easily be measured and a ratio included, so why not add that). But clarity and color I can see from the scans, I don't need a TPG to add that into their composite score. For "Altered" there should be two only two possible answers - Signs of Altering detected or No signs of Altering detected.

And I'd like the grading levels were broader (not a 10 scale, maybe take one or two levels out of the poor to mint scale).

Real: Y
Trimmed: No
Altered: No signs found
Centering Front: Vert60/40, Hor58/42
Centering Back: Vert67/33, Hor28/72
Corners: Very Good
Edges: Near Mint
Surface texture front: Fair
Surface texture back: Good

Again, I realize that in the market the score is everything, and this is a pipe dream, but as a buyer, this is what I want to see, and all I want to see. I want to look at the scans, verify what I see or don't see against the TPG readings, and go about my business.