View Single Post
Old 10-15-2019, 06:31 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlevy View Post
Mike, I am by no means a Zimmer expert. I have attached close-ups of the Zimmer auto on the 1955 Yearbook, the 1955 spring training roster, and from a 1959 Dodger Program I have which was signed by the entire team. To me, the closed "D" in the two 1955 autos are the same, and I think it is quite unlikely his wife was signing team-signed rosters and yearbooks for him in 1955. The 1959 Yearbook however has the open "D" which I believe collectors view as his authentic autograph. Perhaps his signature changed over the years. I believe most think his wife began signing items mailed to them much later than 1955.

Just my conjecture,
Rick

Attachment 369480
Thanks Rick. Very confusing indeed, but agree with your assessment. I looked at some team signed balls that he's been on (for different teams) and I definitely see a changing of his sig where the D slowly goes open until 1964 where it's more like we see today. Now, the ball I saw in 64 had a different ink for his sig, so maybe he signed it later than 64, and I'm wondering if the 59 yearbook you showed might have been signed later as well. One thing I know, is that Topps usually used their "fake" sigs on their cards based on their contract signatures and if you look at his 55 topps signature it sure looks like the first two you have examples for as well as his wife's generally accepted sig. All and all very confusing.
Where's all the Brooklyn Dodger experts out there? C'mon guys, this should be right in your wheelhouse.