View Single Post
Old 10-14-2019, 08:22 PM
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
Beautiful piece Rick. Would love to have that for my Brooklyn collection.
Here's a question to you and to anyone in the know. On this particular piece, the Don Zimmer is in the style that's generally accepted as being his wife's sig. I've seen that on other multi-signed pieces and was wondering...how the heck was she able to sign on something like this? Now, I understand if it was sent to their home, but I'm assuming that it was hand signed right there at spring training. Any thoughts?
Mike, I am by no means a Zimmer expert. I have attached close-ups of the Zimmer auto on the 1955 Yearbook, the 1955 spring training roster, and from a 1959 Dodger Program I have which was signed by the entire team. To me, the closed "D" in the two 1955 autos are the same, and I think it is quite unlikely his wife was signing team-signed rosters and yearbooks for him in 1955. The 1959 Yearbook however has the open "D" which I believe collectors view as his authentic autograph. Perhaps his signature changed over the years. I believe most think his wife began signing items mailed to them much later than 1955.

Just my conjecture,
Rick

zimmer autos.jpg