View Single Post
Old 07-11-2011, 06:37 AM

Default vintage souvenir caps

I am new to the forum after recently reviving my not-so-distant past hobby of vintage baseball collecting. While I now have plenty of change in my pocket were I inclined to step up to higher grade items, I've found that what I still enjoy most is finding interesting items that have been well-loved by their former owners -- not set aside in plastic.

My question relates to what is likely my favorite item -- and, ironically, perhaps the only item I have that is in anything approaching "mint" -- a vintage Boston Red Sox wool cap that my grandfather purchased for the son he never had, and which therefore ended up in my hands when he passed away. Given the appearance and timing of the family history, I date it to the late 1950's/early 1960's.

While I obviously have no intention of letting this hat go, I am interested in beginning to look for and collect similar items -- yet I have very seldom encountered them (or any discussion of them). What kind of value would, say, my grandfather's cap have? Are there any resources out there for identifying these items? And are there any dealers who frequently carry vintage caps?

Thanks,

Jeff