View Single Post
Old 08-09-2010, 11:14 AM
Mi.ke Masi.nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
One story that amused me. I found a stack of low-mid grade m101 blank and common backs, all slabbed. Only one card was not marked, a common player with Standard Biscuit back graded SGC 50. This card should go in the $100-$120 range, give or take. Anyway, when I asked the seller for a price, he looked it over and said $120. I took out the cash and paid him, then hovered around. The three "sellers" behind the table immediately huddled and whispered, then reached for a SCD big book. I stood nearby with a slight smirk on my face, as it appeared to me that they were worried they had been taken on some difficult variation that they let go cheap. One of them looked at me and then seemed even more troubled by my smile- I mean I hadn't asked for the obligatory 10-20% discount- and I don't think they could remember the player on the card to even look him up properly. Now that transaction probably cost me $10-15 by not haggling, but the experience itself was priceless.
Great story! I can totally see that happening and I picture it with the same amusement you had.