View Single Post
Old 08-09-2010, 09:00 AM

My experience was very similuar to Rob's. As a matter of fact one of my highlights was meeting Rob (by accident) and discussing Lajoie cards. As a matter of fact almost everyone that I had a meaningful conversation with at the National turned out to be a Net54er. We usually didn't figure that out until the end of the conversation. It was great to see the passion for collecting from some younger guys like Tony Arnold and John Spano who also are on this board. The hobby only will stay strong if there is new blood comming up that has the same passion that we veterns have had for so many years. I think most of us go to this convention once a year just to confirm that there are others out there who are just as "nuts" about collecting little peices of cardboard as we are. Most of the people in our day to day lives can't understand why we spend so much time on collecting this stuff and its nice to be in a room with thousands of others who do the same thing all year long.

The Dealers

I agree completely with what Rob said. As a collector I like to see things priced and somewhat organized in the cases. Instead of focusing on some of the grouchy (and there were quite a few of them) unorganized dealers, I'll mention one that did a nice job.

I thought Bill Latzko (as an example) did a nice job at his table. The focus of what he was selling was T206's and T205's with a few other pre-war cards sprinkled in. He had everything marked and also had an excell spread sheet with prices for each card available. He was always at his table (don't know if he ever went to the bathroom or ate) and focused on the customer whenever they were standing at his table. He also had a "pre-set" amount he would discount his card when asked and would explain why he couldn't "move" any lower on particular cards. My guess is that he sold alot of cards during the week because of the time he spent with his customers.

I saw the same pattern with Tony A., Wayne Varner, Memory Lane, etc all week. Those tables had big crowds around them most of the time. The common thread for the crowded tables was the way the guy behind the table treated the customer.

Anyway, had a great time and found some E cards that I was looking for. Can't wait until Chicago next year!