View Single Post
Old 05-21-2022, 03:04 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by molenick View Post
Sometimes being a NY fan favorite can help (Rizzuto, Hodges, Lazzeri, Combs, Gomez) but other times it doesn't help (Munson, Mattingly, Posada, Bernie Williams, Pettite, Hernandez). [Not meant as an extensive list...just names that came to mind.]

According to Baseball Reference, the most similar player to Kirby Puckett (first ballot) was Don Mattingly (topped out at 28%). I give credit to Puckett for playing a more important defensive position and for the post season...but Mattingly has an MVP and he was (and remains) a very popular player among Yankee fans.

Edited to add: I think it may help more in the Veteran's Committee where you basically need a favorable balance of people to get you in (like the Frankie Frisch years that got in Jesse Haines and George Kelly). I don't think it helps with the writers, who are from all over the country and where a pro-NY bias may be balanced by some anti-NY votes (or non-votes).
Munson and Mattingly are good examples of what I'm talking about. Popular captain/leader of a NY team generates more HOF votes than they'd otherwise get. Mattingly is a 42 WAR 1B whose career nosedived at 28. He remains one of the most bought up 'when is he getting in' players though.

I'll bet Wright gets significant voting.