View Single Post
Old 05-30-2010, 08:58 PM
Alan Elefson

Hi-
I too am a flea market/antique shop junkie, and I found several items this morning. I found three T205s (commons in rough shape), three Diamond matchbook covers (including Bottomley and a red bordered one), 2 1915 Fordham University Football team photos, a couple of early baseballs, and a Kren's special fungo bat. Plus a bunch of other items. The best thing is, everything I got was very low priced.
For those who say they never find anything at flea markets, I say you just need to put in additional effort. You need to go to a flea market every week, talk to every dealer (nicely), and constantly remind them what you are looking for. Most importantly, you need to get to a flea market as early as possible (I got to the one I frequent at 5:20 this morning, and that was a little later than I wanted to be). I frequently ask dealers as they setup if they have either boy scout items (one of my collections) or early sports items. Invariably, if they do have it, and you are the first to inquire about something, they will set it aside for you so you can move on to the next dealer.
Very rarely do I come home empty handed from a flea market. However, it is also very rare when I absolutley "steal" something (get an item for a dollar and sell it for a thousand). All that being said I enjoy finding something for my collection that I would have paid 20 or 30 dollars for 1 dollar.
Yours in collecting,
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com