View Single Post
Old 07-27-2004, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Default Alright studs of knowledge, what's this???

Posted By: Dennis

As I said in my earlier post I'm somewhat outspoken. I also respect and give kudos to the knowledgeable folks on this board. You guys (and girls) have helped me immensely in the past without you ever knowing it. Thank you.

Technology has led us to a point where in many cases we must make a decision to buy based on computer scans. That's great in as much as we have global access to the cardboard gems we cherish so. The negative part is that it opens up opportunity for the unscruptulious folks to sucker people in (see the numerous ebay posts in this forum). I do NOT believe this to be the case with the Mastro folks. I have much respect for them. Because I'm new, I feel I should offer a little insight as to my (somewhat limited) credentials. I was a software engineer for 15 years and have been a card collector since I was 10. I'm now 43 (and still get as giddy as I did back then when landing a nice card).

Again to the subject card. As other posters have mentioned - we do not have access to hold and examine the card. The bottom line is that the gentleman posted a scan and asked for advice. I gave mine and stand by it. In addition to the points I offered before consider:

The inconsistant shadowing of the Wagner image. No head shadow etc.

Magnify the the Wagner image and look where the cropping was inconsistant over Honus' right shoulder.

The aforementioned green background ends just short of the right border due to the cropped image being uncentered if layed all the way to the right edge.

Why would almost every known e-series candy card be so well designed and this particulair uncatalogued one (that just so happens to be a Wagner) be so shoddy. If it smells like a duck and quacks like a duck...

Sorry to be so long winded - I'll work on that in future posts.

Dennis
ALWAYS looking for t205 Minor Leaguers