View Single Post
Old 06-27-2007, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Default opening vintage packs

Posted By: rob

Around 5-6 years ago,I sold my entire horde of unopened 50s/60s/70s packs/racks/boxes to a popular buyer of this material from the NY metro area.
He came to my house in Brooklyn,handed over the cash after examining the material,and began ripping into the stuff.Which surprised the heck out of me.I didnt realize he would actually OPEN them....especially in front of me.
He opened several 50s Topps cellos,a couple of 60s rack packs,and several racks/packs from the 70s in my presence (most I had purchased over the years from Mark Murphy,the "Baseballcard kid" in CT.Don't think he's in business anymore).He never opened my early-to-mid 70e boxes. I had purchased a few years previously a box of 68 Topps in an auction (Christies?),which he also left alone...that day,anyway.
He pulled one or two Aarons and a Mays from the 60s (no Mantles),a Drysdale and a Mays A/S from late 50s Topps cello,and a few other stars (most were in NM-M shape,some centering issues and gum stains)...but overwhelmingly a lot of commons,albeit wonderful-looking vintage commons.
It was great to see sharp-cornered,vibrant 58,59,60,64,68 and 71 Topps cards seeing air for the first time in years.
I think he was dissapointed in the outcome.
But it was still something to see,and it was wholly unexpected. The tension was unbearable!
Rob
Needless to say,wish I still had the entire collection.