View Single Post
Old 09-19-2020, 08:41 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Default Figuring T206 pricing upcharge based on backs?

Here is a question I haven't seen asked...

Ran across a gentleman today that had a small stack of T206's for sale... None graded... Claimed to be a "big collector" with 3 storage units of cards...

Anyway the ten or dozen cards he had with him were all Polar Bear backs with a couple of Sweet Caps and Piedmonts mixed..

The Polar Bears included included a Cobb on shoulder, Christy Mathewson, Chick Gandil, Clark Griffith and a few other stars.

I didn't examine out of the top loaders but they looked ok but being some big names and not graded, I was very leery for someone claiming "big collector" status..

So obviously he had some big numbers on some of them, $4500 for Cobb etc.

The question is if say using a Beckett Vintage guide as a starting point - I know not the greatest guide but it is at least a starting point for a price...

What percentage would you add to it or rule of thumb to use for pricing the rarer backs such as Polar Bear, Drum, Uzit etc.

So if a Gandil lists at $175/300 for a common back, where would you be on a Polar Bear?

Thanks!
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.