View Single Post
Old 03-02-2021, 01:14 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
I mean we see it in Fine art, I never thought cardboard would be used for it but at the current rate of this market, it wouldn't surprise me.

It really just blows my mind, it has to be Money laundering, it's the only reasonable conclusion. 4.6 Million for a signed card from a third year player? I know Doncic is good, but 4.6 Million? It's unreal. He could blow out his knee tomorrow and never play again.

At least with the Wagner's, Cobbs, Mantle's and Ruth's of the world, you don't run that risk.
I had been thinking of the money laundering angle considerably since it's well known that over $40 BILLION in previous covid relief packages has been lost due to fraud (Link). These criminals have to try to "clean" this money somehow, so why not cards? However, saying that, a lot of the folks who are buying these record prices in cards are making themselves known, so if you are a criminal, you wouldn't want to publicize that you just spent millions on a baseball card and have it in the news.

On another note, I remember when we were in the throes on (Jeremy) Linsanity a few years ago, and people were buying his rookie cards for absurd prices like $75,000 (Link. However, those prices are peanuts compared to what prices are going for now.